There are a few ways to add inventor, but the easiest way I've found is this:
- If you don't have an autodesk educator account, create one here https://www.autodesk.com/education/edu-software/overview?sorting=featured&page=1
- After you have an autodesk educator account, go to https://www.autodesk.com/education/edu-software/overview?sorting=featured&page=1
- Scroll down to Inventor Professional
- Click on "Get Started"
- Select the Inventor options that match the rest of the lab. Not all years work well together. We've had some folks tell us that Inventor 2021 and 2020 won't open all 2019 files, so if the rest of the lab is 2019, make sure this one is as well. If you're starting a lab from scratch, I'd suggest choosing the most up-to-date version at the time of install.
- There are 2 options: "Install" and "Download." Install will download a small installation package, and as you're running it, it will download the program as it goes during install. If you choose "Download," it will download multiple files, but will do all the downloading on the front end, and then you'll install once they're all downloaded. I've had more luck historically doing the Download method. If you're doing a whole lab, I suggest selecting Download, then adding all those files to a flash drive or two and then using the flash drive to do the lab installs.